2.10.2008

Danny's Little Taste of Texas

Before our move to Connecticut we had enjoyed some pretty good barbecue in our time in Massachusetts, places like Blue Ribbon or Firefly's . Similar to diners we enjoy hunting down local barbecue joints. We consider ourselves pretty serious about our BBQ even havingFirefly’s cater our wedding.

So, this Saturday we decided to make our try of Connecticut BBQ. We first had Little Danny’s at the Connecticut pavilion at the Big E this past summer and I was quite pleased with the pulled pork sandwich I had at the time.

We got to the restaurant a bit before noon so there no problem getting a seat, it’s a small place with maybe half a dozen booths and some tables. The menu has a good variety but I was a bit disappointed to see no good combos, I like to get rib & pulled pork combos on my first visit to any BBQ joint in order to test a wider offering of the food. I wrote that off to them being "Texas style" and not concentrating so much on the pulled pork. We started with the “Corn Fritters” (hushpuppies). 5 ping pong ball size fritters arrived stranded in the middle of a paper plate inexplicably strewn with lettuce & shredded cheddar cheese, they were hot & crunchy but a bit bland. I was also a bit taken a back by the math in my head that was telling me at $4.99 a plate each of these bland fritters cost $1.00, really?

This was followed by our sandwiches, Julie got the pulled pork while I got sliced buffalo. The buffalo had 4 or 5 nice thick slices, the meat was tender but dry, no bbq sauce was on the table or offered, although I admit I could have asked. Julies pork was tender and tasty but without much smoky taste. On the side of each was a pile of generic thick cut fires.

I support local eateries over the chains and if I happened to be driving by I might stop at Danny’s again to give them another try. But I won’t be making another special trip any time soon.

Little Taste of Texas
19 Oakland Rd

South Windsor, CT 06074

Get Directions
(860) 436-1232
(Google Map)

No comments: