2.03.2008

A Real Worcester Diner

Hunting down diners has become a favorite past time for my lovely wife & I. In fact about the only way to get her out of bed early on a Saturday is to suggest we go out for breakfast, then I’m usually racing her to the door. Last Saturday we were headed to Worcester to see her family and decided to leave Farmington a bit early in order to grab a bite in one of the original diner cities.

















The Miss Worcester is one of 650 diners and lunch cars turned out by the Worcester Lunch Car Company between 1910 & 1957, and stands just across the street from that now closed factory. Apparently the diner was closed for a few years, but is back open and was quite busy as we arrived to find a small lunch car with seating at the counter and perhaps 1/2 dozen booths. All of the cooking is on a griddle just behind the counter. Having breakfast in one booth were two ambulance crews, always a good sign.

Julie had french toast while I had the ham & cheese omelet. Quite large, the omelet had plenty of cheese and lots of shredded baked ham. Overall the diner was good, but I’ll need to complete my tour of the plentiful Worcester diner offerings before I make a return trip.

Miss Worcester Diner
300 Southbridge Street
Worcester, MA 01608
(Google Map)

No comments: